Using Microsoft Teams, you can share the report with your fellow members of the team. Some times, it is important to have a discussion on a Power BI report and Microsoft Teams is a great tool that facilitates collaboration between the team members.
How to embedded Power BI Report in Microsoft Teams
Step 1: Create a Workspace
- Click on the "Create a Workspace" button to make a workspace where you can store your reports and dashboard.
- Enter the name for the workspace, We have given the name as "Power BI Teams Integration". Then click on the Save Button on the bottom.
- After creating the workspace, you can create a report in Power BI Desktop and publish the report in this Workspace. For the demo purpose, we have saved the sample report in the Workspace. To follow along with me you can click on the sample available within the workspace.
- Connect to any of the sample reports which will be saved in the workspace. We will be sharing this report with members of the channel in the Microsoft Teams.
- Here, We have taken the "Customer Profitability Sample" dashboard and report to share with members of the channel in Microsoft Teams.
Step 2: Provide access to Workspace
- Go the workspace and click on the Access on the top as shown in the below screenshot.
- Once you click on the access button, you will get a screen as shown in the below screenshot. You can add the member name or member email id to whom you want to give access to the workspace.
Step 3: Add the report to the Channel in Microsoft Teams
|pbitalks is the Team and General is the Channel |
In the above screenshot, you have to click on the Power BI to add an additional tab in your channel so that members of the channel who have access to the report can see the report in the additional tab.
Next, the thing which we have to do is to select the report which we want to add in the additional tab in the channel. See the below screenshot for detail.
As seen in the above screenshot we have to select the report by clicking in the workspace where the report is saved in the Power BI Service and click on the Save button.
Now the report is added successfully in the additional Tab in the channel. Now Let`s check whether Vandana Mishra whom we have provided access to the workspace is able to see the report on the channel or not. See the below screenshot.
As we can see in the above screenshot, Vandana Mishra to whom we have provided access to the workspace in the Power BI Service got a notification regarding the report on the channel. Notification will be visible to all the members of the channel but only members who have access to the workspace will be able to see the report.
You can click on the report in the 1 more dropdown option at the top of the channel or click on the report which is visible in the channel feed. Both options are shown in the red box in the above screenshot.
Once you click on the report, you can see the report as shown in the below screenshot.
In the above screenshot, you can see the tab with the Power BI report name on the top of the channel as a tab.
Step 4: Enable Chat feature for discussion on the Report
To enable the chat feature you have to click on the Chat button on the top of the channel. On clicking the chat button, you will be able to see the space where you chat with the other members of the channel.
Eligibility for Integrating Power BI report to Microsoft Teams
1. Pro License or Premium Workspace is required.
2. Users in Microsoft teams must have permission to view the report in Power BI.
3. Users having access to view must be added to the Channel in Microsoft Teams.
Important Points to Know
- A dashboard can not be shared with the members of the channel in the Teams.
- Language Localization is not supported. Language in the Power BI Report can be different from the language used in the Teams.
- A user without permission to the report will see “Content is not available” message.
- Row Level Security is supported in the Power BI Teams Integration.
Integration of Power BI Report in Teams is a helpful feature that makes collaboration and sharing of reports easy with the members of the channel of the Team. Members can collaborate and provide their feedback in the Chat Window.
I hope that you will like this article and share it with your fellow colleagues. You can drop me a message in the comment below for any doubt or clarification.